Scheduling regular veterinary or wellness checks for your cat or dog allows us to stay up-to-date with changes in their overall health. Regardless of your dog or cat's stage of life, veterinary visits are essential to maintaining their well-being. Especially if you have a puppy, kitten, senior dog, or senior cat, more frequent visits allow us to support any health concerns.
Why does my cat or dog need a routine wellness exam?
Our team strongly believes in preventive care through routine wellness exams. We recommend these types of visits at least once per year for most pets or at least twice per year for senior pets. This helps us determine your cat or dog's health by revealing underlying conditions that need to be addressed. Don't wait until your pet is sick to schedule your next visit! To book your pet's next wellness exam, please contact us at 709-256-3891.
What can I expect at their physical exam?
Annual or bi-annual physical exams are customized to meet your dog or cat's individual needs according to their age and individual lifestyle. During a physical exam, our veterinarians review your dog or cat's:
- Heart and lungs for abnormalities or defects
- Teeth and gums for signs of dental disease or gingivitis
- Eyes and ears for changes or abnormalities such as ulcers, cataracts, or infection
- Skin and coat to check for changes such as hair loss, dry skin, lumps, or changes in pigment
- Abdomen to palpate (feel) the organs to check the size, check for pain, or any unusual lumps
- Urogenital area for discharge, bleeding, or physical changes
- Llimbs and feet for checking any limping, muscle changes, or signs of weakness or arthritis
- Medical history and current medication dosages to ensure your pet is on the correct dose
- Everyday habits, housing, and nutrition